You Are Reading

Saturday 24 September 2011

Art Project

Just thought I'd share an art project that I did for about a month.I was assigned to design a cube with a message behind it. The theme was 'Cube Enigma'. My work was basically about the detrimental effects of consumerism and how something so colourful could be so bleak and dark. haha.But this is ironic cos I'm totally obsessed with fashion...ahh,I guess that's art for you,an endless maze of paradox and contradiction.Anyway I'll just show you pics of what I did...
Ok so these two sides of the cube signifies the myriad of consumerism and how it is is a chaotic manner.The colourful exterior symbolises the dynamism of consumerism and how celebrities propel such movements. The lady beside the Michael Jackson drawing shows obsession with aesthetic perfection through plastic surgery.
 This side shows the subliminal messaging of consumerism as you can see there's a face within the forehead of 'The Joker' and how the spray painted words are reversed.
 Ironically adding a barcode at the bottom of an artwork which is against the concept of economic value.
Interior possesses a stark contrast from the outside as I used only white and black with a hint of green and brown.The 'mindless worshipper' of consumerism is worshipping the angel; pure,being sucked into a vortex as the body is attacked by 'brands'. The long arms of the worshipper suggests his longing for materialism.The coffin at the back with the plants signifies the environmental impacts of consumerism. Spikes above also shows the precarious position the worshipper is in.
Anyways,I was really inspired by fashion and how clothes have that aesthetic quality no matter how grotesque it is. Donatella Versace was a huge inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.